Monday, December 3, 2007

My Dog Dilemma


(This is not our dog. This is the neighbors puppy that the kids love!!)
For more than a year now Brooke has been asking for a dog. When I was pregnant with Kelsey I would tell her no, that she was getting a sister. After Kelsey was born I told her after the baby could walk we could get one. I wasn't thinking we would be pregnant again!! My family isn't a dog family. I never remember having a dog. I think they stink and are gross. However, I did have many cats and a few hamsters. I loved my animals and I do think it is important for kids to have pets. Brooke loves dogs. She has clothes with dogs on them, she has a crate full of stuffed dogs and leashes. Last year we got her a remote control dog. She makes her brother play dog all the time and puts a leash around his waist and calls him "Shocky". She is having a dog birthday party. She can't get enough dogs!! So I finally gave in and agreed to a small dog. We went to the animal shelter today and picked out a small Chihuahua. The dog was great with all the kids and even let Kelsey smother it. We are picking it up on Wednesday and the kids are so happy. I hope this all works out... if not there is a 14 day return policy!!!

9 comments:

Cody said...

Can you please tell my mom that pets are good. Please. I won't sue Dodd if you do.

Steph! said...

I think that is great Amy! My kids are dying to get one too...My home is too small!

kristen said...

Hey Amy! Love the blog. Cute pictures. :) It was your words of inspiration at that RS dinner way back that gave me that final push to jump on the blogging-bandwagon. Anyway, good luck with the dog! I'm excited to meet him. Or her.

Grandma's Blog said...

Amy, the reason we didn't have dogs when you were a kid is because we only wanted 5 kids not 6. And they stink and are gross!
Mom & Dad

Tammy said...

oh my gosh! i AM my mother's daughter! i agree with mom...sorry cody-boy...if i wanted three kids i would have three kids...not two kids and a dog-child. and they stink and are gross!

Tammy said...

btw...yay! you got a dog! i bet brookie is in HEAVEN!!!

Leslie said...

HOLY COW!!! or should I say HOLY CHIUAUA! Ben wants a dog too. We went to an animal shelter about 3 years ago and were about to get a chiuaua too, but we had "family time" to get to know the pet and decide if we were gonna get it and Curtis broke out in hives and watery eyes. He is totally allergic, but loves dogs! THat saved me because they are totally stinky and gross.

GOOD LUCK, and don't lose your receipt! :)

Teresa said...

Wow Amy! You really are SuperMom. I'm so excited for your kids - they are going to be so happy! My kids would love a dog too but I know my limits. So no dog for us.

Melissa said...

Good Luck with the puppy. We had a Chiauhauh for 13 years. I loved him! But he never did learn not to go to the bathroom everywhere. I suggest professional help with that.