Friday, July 18, 2008

Coupons!

Saturday I took a coupon class at the college. I have dabbled in coupons before, but this class was so cool. I was the only one in the class so it was more of a one on one chat session with the teacher who is a real Coupon Queen. This is one of her store trips!
-Saved $115.58 - Spent $18.80
(2) Tava 4pk - BOGO - 3.99 less (1) 1.50 coupon & (1) $1 coupon = FREE
(1) Chex Mix Cheddar - 1.99 less 1/1 coupon = FREE
(2) Jolly Time Popcorn - 1.99 ea. less 1.50/1 and 1/1 coupons = FREE
(2) Ragu Pasta Sauce - 1.79 ea. less (2) $1/1 blinkies = .79 ea.
(1) Bertolli Pasta Sauce - 2.50 less 1/1 coupon = .50
(1) Chinet Casuals Plate - 2.50 less 1/1 coupon = .50
(1) Raid Spray - 2.50 less 1.50/1 coupon = FREE
(1) Excedrin Back and Body - 2.99 less 2/1 coupon = FREE
(2) Diet Coke 6-pk - 3.50 ea. less Super Coupon & $1/2 peelie I had = .50 ea.
(2) Betty Crocker Frosting - 1.50 ea. less (1) .55 IP & (1) .50 peelie = .90 total
(2) Hunts Ketchup - 2.00 ea. less $1/2 coupon = $1 ea. (I needed!!)
(1) Guerrero 50 ct. corn tortillas - $2.59 less $1 IP = .59
(1) 4pk Sobe - $3.00 less $2 Catalina coupon = $1 (but this spit out a Catalina for a free bottle of Sobe)
(1) McCormick Season All - $1.59 less .75 coupon = .09
(2) Hansens 6-pks - $2 ea. less B1G1F coupon & $1/2 coupon = FREE
(1) Eagle Cinnamon Bursts - $1.99 less $1 IP = FREE
(1) Pillsbury Toaster Strudel - $2.50 less $1 IP = .50
(4) Kelloggs Frosted Mini Wheat - $2.50 ea. less Super Coupon & (2) $1/2 IP = .75 ea.
I got more than 25 items, just in case, plus the Tava wasn't tagged.Other stuff I got not on the SSM promo:
(1) Planters - $3 less $3 IP = FREE
(1) Honeymaid Grahams - $2.50 less $1 coupon = .50
(2) Weber seasoning - $1 less $1/2 coupon = FREE
(1) Powerade - $1 less .75 coupon = FREE(1) Sobe bottle - $1 less .50 tearpad coupon = FREE
(1) South Beach Diet pizza - $2.50 less $1 coupon = .50
(2) Airwick air freshener - $1 ea. less $1/2 IP = FREE
(1) Zantac 8 ct.- $5.99 less $5 IP = FREE1
Incredible!!!
The best things I learned were-
1. You have to have a lot of coupons! I used to get 1 Sunday paper and thought that was good enough. But the idea is to get several papers to get Multiple coupons. If you get a really good deal you will be able to go back get it lots of times with all of your same coupons. (be careful, stores don't double same coupons)
2. It is called rolling over. Right now at Vons if you buy 25 participating items they give you $20 back. Instead of buying whatever, you should use your money and buy more participating items which gives you money back again. You do this again and again using your $20 they gave you. Smart!
I know it is a lot of work but I am going to try it!

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

That was quite a coupon lesson...it too turns my husband on so I will take your advice and try and be more efficent!

Leslie said...

And stupid Safeway doesn't double coupons!!! (I called Savemart and they don't either) You will get a lot more savings than me. Good Luck and keep me posted on the deals.

Cristin said...

Leslie told me you did this class. I am really interested in this. I only worry that I will get a lot of stuff I don't need or use. Our problem is we have so few grocery stores nearby. I need a Ralphs that will double my coupons!

Unknown said...

yep - thats awesome - I use the www.cutouthunger.com site and that helps (when I have time!) The problem I have found is most foods you can get with coupons are not very healthy - so you can get great deals but beware of getting stuff that you will feed your kids just to get the deal (that you would otherwise not touch!)

Tammy said...

so more = less? love it. i'm going to have to get a coupon box organizer and lots of coupons and shop like crazy! or am i missing the point?