Brooke started school about 3 weeks ago and she is already coming home with fundraisers! They are having a Jog-a-thon. The kids ask for money from family and friends for running around in a circle! Well I guess they have this big deal kick-off assembly and tell the kids what they can win to get them all pumped up. Brooke came home that day and told me the kid who gets the most money gets a Nintendo Wii and the second kid gets an ipod. I really don't like the idea of this and I am not sure why. Is it that my child will never beg for that much money and will never win anything good? Or is there really something wrong about bribing kids to get money? I know schools need money, but don't be hanging a Wii in front of my child to get her to go beg for money. I read the papers and the smallest prize amount I saw was an ice cream party if you bring in $50. There is no way I am taking her around the neighborhood to ask all the neighbors who have already had 100 kids at their door. So I am half tempted to donate $50 and let her win the ice cream party so she doesn't get left out. The problem is when I have 4 kids going there that will be $200 just for ice cream parties. $200 would buy us a couple years of ice cream parties at home. What to do!!!
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
i hate fund raiser too! cody was all pumped up about the magazine sales this year. the winner gets to meet some dirt bike riding guy or something. you know some parents out there are going to drop a fortune in magazine subscriptions so their kid can meet this guy...won't be us! tell brooke to call her auntie tammy...she'll buy anything! (except a magazine subscription!)
I know!! the worst part is I send my kids to private school, I PAY FOR IT, and yet, this is the SECOND week of school and TWO fund raisers already SHEESH!!
I hate guilting my friends and neighbors into giving me money - yeah, those Wii's are like $400!! Why doesn't the school use that money instead of buying a Wii?
We are in the same boat...our walk-a-thon is on the 28th. Just this week we went to the school fundraiser at Rubio's. By the time I ordered and got my food 30 minutes later the school earned a whole 4.00 off my meal! LAME.
50.00 for ice cream is ridiculous. Plus with a jog-a-thon aren't they supposed to be teaching healthy habits of exercise? Instead they are learning...go run and stuff your face with ice cream!
I think its funny that the minimum amount to donate is $50. What if you only give them $40? Will they not take it? At least they are raising money for school. At BYU kids would go to student housing selling lollipops to raise money for a family vacation! I am not paying for you to go to Disneyland!
OOooooohhhh - don't get me started! Our kids are supposed to be selling chocolates and gift wrap! I just put their selling info in a stack and they take them back with no sales. I refuse to send the kids out to the neighbors (who we don't even know very well) or bug their aunties to beg for the school. Tyler's school has a fundraiser buy-out but I told them I'm not doing that either! The kids don't even ask me if they can do it anymore. I'm so mean!
Come-on Ames. Where's your Pioneer spirit?
You take the kids out in that wagon and do your missionary work (it's called "trackting").
Tell Tammy that Uncle Eric will buy a magazine subcription from Cody--he's got one in mind.
If I survived all this stuff--you girls should sail right through it.
Love you!
P.S. Do you have pass-along cards?
Yeah Ames!!! Where is your pioneer spirit? Lets all get together and start making floor length skirts and bonnets for the girls. I'm sure that Lorrie can provide all of the old school fabric! Do you think you could find a good butter churning recipe?
WOW...
Amy, you know what I'm thinking.
Post a Comment